As of now, real money gambling apps are only available in Brazilian, Irish, French, and British Google Play Stores. The new policy goes into effect on March 1 and gambling apps will be available in the United States and fourteen additional countries.
Google Play in for PA iGaming
- Android users access the apps via direct download from the operator’s website
This major change helps operators reach a wider audience and also makes the process more streamlined for users.
“As sports betting and iGaming continues to expand across the United States, we are excited that DraftKings Sportsbook and Casino apps will soon be available to download for Android users via Google Play.”
Strict requirement for gambling apps
To get a place in the Google Play store, a developer must have a valid gambling license for each country or state where the app is offered. Also, developers in the fifteen countries new to the Google Play store have a list of conditions to meet, and a number of them deal with responsible gaming.
Eligible apps must meet the following requirements:
- Developer must successfully complete the application process in order to distribute the app on Play
- App must comply with all applicable laws and industry standards for each country
- Developer must have a valid gambling license for each country or state/territory
- Developer must not offer a type of gambling product that exceeds the scope of its gambling license
- App must prevent under-age users from using the app
- App must prevent access and use from countries, states/territories, or the geographic areas not covered by the developer-provided gambling license
- The app must NOT be purchasable as a paid app on Google Play, nor use Google Play In-app Billing
- App must be free to download and install from the Store
- App must be rated AO (Adult Only) or IARC equivalent; and
- App and its app listing must clearly display information about responsible gambling
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez